Central Park is a small, community-based child care centre located in East Malvern, Melbourne. We care for children between the ages of six months and five years, where all ages are grouped together for the duration of the day. Advantages of multi-age grouping include:
- Younger children have the opportunity to observe and imitate a wide range of skills demonstrated by older children, often resulting in more complex and interactive play.
- It can enhance the social and emotional behaviour of older children, with the opportunity to master social skills such as leadership, turn-taking, safety awareness and responsibility for younger children.
- Siblings and friends of different ages have the opportunity to spend time with each other as they are placed together, not in separate rooms.
We pride ourselves on providing an exciting program based on open-ended learning experiences that are constantly evolving and beneficial to children of all ages. This includes:
- Sensory arts and craft
- Reading and music time
- Flexibility to play indoors or outside at any time (including a winter marquee allowing for outdoor play all-year round)
- ‘Russell’, the friendly guinea pig, and our fish who help the children to learn and care for pets
- The ability to cater for individual routines, including specific sleep conditions
- Promotion of healthy eating, with fruit picnics enjoyed for morning tea, to further encourage socialisation among the children
- Large, shaded outdoor playground with sand pit, water play and a cubby house with slide
- A vegetable garden tended to by the children
- Throughout the year, our program includes regular activities to develop awareness of different events and cultural celebrations.